Saturday, June 21, 2008

getting spoiled in santo domingo

Hello from a 23-year-old! I'm ringing in my new year in the nice, air-conditioned Peace Corps computer lab. I've actually used the Internet so much the last few days that I don't really have anything to do, but it's free and fast so I can't stay away. At least not until we leave to get PIZZA HUT for lunch.

This morning we walked over to the grocery store and got doughnuts and yogurt for breakfast. (Whenever I leave my site, this turns into a food blog... I can't help it! I'm so excited to eat non-Dominican food of any sort!)

Last night, following a delicious dinner of falafel, we met up with a few older volunteers and went out dancing. I don't think I've blogged yet about the "car wash" phenomenon. Here, places called "car washes" (in English, not like a "lavaderia de carros") are car washes during the day and open air dance places at night. Sometimes, they are not even car washes during the day, they are just called car washes. Anyhow, we went to a car wash and bachata-ed it up. It's nice going out with a group of Americans. Sketchy Dominican guys tend to get intimidated by the group and are less likely to be, well, sketchy.

Today, as I mentioned, we're planning on getting pizza, and I think some of us are going to try to see Prince Caspian. Basically, we're pretending we're in America this weekend. It's pretty rad.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, all!

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, m'dear! Enjoy being American!